Saturday, September 22, 2007

Solo Man

Remember that ad? The guy who kayaked over a waterfall and then downed a can of Solo to recharge?

That's a good ad. They don't come like that any more...

I like being solo. I have time to think. I don't have to compromise. I do whatever I want, when I want to do it.

Here I am sitting beside a church on a hilltop behind Ljubljana.



Here I am at a cafe in Ljubljana (as you can guess, this posting is about me, me me!).

Here I am swimming in Lake Bled in Slovenia. It was a beautiful day. Warm, sunny and the water was so clear you could see the fish under the surface as clearly as the ducks on top.

I had a sudden urge to prove to myself that my body could withstand everything that the Solo Man's body could. I got two buses and a train to the Slovenian side of the Slovenia-Italy border. I then walked about 5 kilometres over the border, hitched to Gorizia, and there I am, tired but refreshed, at the train station. Who's the real Solo Man now?


Note: the bottle of Coke beside me in no way reflects on a lack of support on my part for the excellent people at Solo Inc., but rather a failure of the Italian railway system to provide Solo at the self-service vending machines at their stations.

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nat said...

bet you're glad you took that hat now eli!

Grant Krupp said...

I don't see you swinging off vines with crocodilesbelow.

Unknown said...

Grant, your reason is impeccable, but your gentlemanliness is lacking...

nikki f said...

isn't slovenia fantastic? i absolutely adored ljubljana..best food/people/sites. awesome. x nikki f

Pusia said...

A good, tight post. Enjoyed for all narcissistic elements.