Monday, August 27, 2007

Russia: Signing Off

My final two conclusions about Russia.

One: Russian people drink a lot. Here I am at the bus station waiting for my bus to Riga, Latvia. As you can see, everyone in the park is drinking. It was about 1 in the afternoon. This is usual.

Two: The hardship endured by the Russian people over their long history has obviously inspired great creativity. Russia inspired me to write this poem. It might not be finished yet... comments are requested.
It was the stark white trunks of those trees that did it.
Like bars of a prison
that was the whole world.
I thought I could find a way through.

On impulse, then
I threw myself from the window
of the rushing carriage,
which flickered and was gone.

And I, flying,
in a moment of pure aspiration,
saw the sky, and reaching out to touch it,
fell.

No comments: